facebook-icon grid-icon horizontal-dots-icon linkedin-icon search-icon x-icon

COVID 19 update October

October 4th, 2021

This update will inform you about the recent changes with regards to the COVID-19 measures applicable as of 25 September 2021.  

Nearly 13 million people in The Netherlands have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine and more than 11 million are fully vaccinated. Hospital and ICU admissions are stable. The majority of people who are admitted to hospital or who test positive for coronavirus are still unvaccinated. Vaccination coverage is high enough that we can lift the rule to stay 1.5 meters from others. But it’s not yet high enough to do this without putting other conditions in place. Only maximum vaccination coverage will allow us to lift all the measures.

Below under (I) the travel-in rules will be explained, and under (II) activities requiring the Digital COVID Certificate within The Netherlands.

I. Entry into The Netherlands

A. Safe, very high risk and high-risk countries

For the countries that are currently considered safe countries with a low Covid-19 risk, no bans or restrictions apply. Please keep in mind that this list (see Annex 1) changes regularly based on the Covid-19 numbers in these countries.

Some countries and areas are considered very high risk (see Annex 2). As of 4 September, the countries on the list of very high-risk countries where there is a virus variant of concern have been moved to either the category ‘very high-risk area’ or the category ‘high-risk area’. 
The countries and regions that are not on the list of safe countries/regions or on the lists of very high-risk areas are considered high-risk areas.

Here a table presenting the different requirements to enter in The Netherlands depending if you are coming from the EU area or outside the EU. This requirement applies to everyone aged at least 12 years. 
Please note that the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area. 

  • For the terms: Totally vaccinated, Proof of Recovery, Negative Test Result, Quarantine, Health Declaration are contained in Annex 3.

B. EU-travel ban and its exceptions

An EU-entry ban is in effect for people travelling from non-EU countries with a high COVID-19 risk, unless the purpose of their trip falls under one of the following exemption categories.

If you can fly to The Netherlands because you fall into an exemption category, you might need:

  • to provide a negative Covid-19 test declaration. There are some exceptions. For example: people travelling within the EU who can show proof of vaccination or proof of recovery (a Digital COVID Certificate) do not have to show a negative COVID-19 test result.
  • you will have to self-quarantine for 10 days upon arrival. As of 22 September, fully vaccinated travelers from the United States, the United Kingdom and other very high-risk areas no longer have to self-quarantine on arrival in The Netherlands. Before leaving, please do check the travel advice on reizentijdenscorona.rijksoverheid.nl/en

You fall into an exemption category if one of the following situations applies to you:

1. Full vaccination

This declaration must be completed by all travellers aged 12 and over from outside the Schengen area. Children under the age of 18 years travelling with their vaccinated parent(s) or legal guardian(s) are exempted from this requirement, but they must show a negative COVID-19 test result.
There are some exemptions for the test result requirement.  

2. Nationality and right of residence
  • You are a national of an EU or Schengen area country. 
  • You are a national or resident of one of the following countries: Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Andorra, San Marino or Vatican City. 
  • You are a national of a non-EU country and have a residence card or a residence permit in accordance with Directive 2003/109/EEC (concerning long-term residents). 
  • You are a national of a non-EU country but derive your right of residence from other EU directives or the national law of a Schengen country. 
  • You have a long-stay visa (authorisation for temporary stay or ‘MVV’).
  • You hold a letter of notification from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service for long-term stay.
  • You have a valid residence permit for The Netherlands. 
3. Study, knowledge and research
  • You are a student and are coming to The Netherlands for a short stay of less than 3 months. You have proof of enrolment at an educational institution which is recognised by the IND as a host organisation (referred to as a ‘recognised sponsor’ by the IND).
  • You are a highly skilled migrant and are coming to The Netherlands for a short stay (less than 3 months). You have a Dutch employment permit or proof of the work to be carried out.
  • You are a researcher or scientist who falls under the exemptions to the entry ban for professionals in the cultural and creative sector. 
4. For work
  • You are a key worker or have exceptional circumstances: care worker, doctor, nurse or researcher.
  • You are a cross-border commuter.
  • You are a seasonal worker.
  • You work in the transport sector:
    • transport of goods
    • container ships
    • bulk carriers (e.g., transporting ore or coal)
    • tankers (e.g., transporting fuels and chemicals)
    • fishing boats.
  • You work in the energy sector:
    • on an oil or gas platform
    • at a wind farm
    • for an offshore company that provides services to this sector.
  • You are a professional providing urgent technical assistance in a crucial sector and your specialist knowledge and physical presence are required.
  • You are part of a flight crew.
  • You are a seafarer in possession of a seafarer's record book. This does not include seafarers on commercial yachts and pleasure crafts.
  • You are a diplomat.
  • You are a seafarer on a commercial vessel with a length of 24 metre or more.
  • You have a service passport and need to travel to carry out your duties.
  • You are a member of the armed forces and need to travel to carry out your duties.
  • You work for an international and/or humanitarian organisation.
  • You are a journalist as defined in the framework for applying the exemption for journalists. 
  • You are an elite athlete as defined in the framework for applying the exemption for elite athletes and their support staff. 
  • You are a business traveler as defined in the framework for applying the exemption for business travelers. 
  • You are a professional in the cultural and creative sector.
5. Compelling reasons to visit your family

You have compelling reasons to visit your family. This is only possible in truly exceptional cases, such as:

  • visiting a seriously ill or terminally ill family member or attending a funeral. You must be a family member in the first or second degree (as defined in Dutch law). You must fill in a Declaration of exemption from COVID-19 entry ban.
  • coming to The Netherlands to be with your legal partner when they give birth. If you are not legally married, you must have acknowledged paternity or parentage of the unborn child. You must also be able to prove, with a letter from the gynecologist or the obstetrician, that your partner is more than 34 weeks pregnant. 
  • visiting your new-born grandchild. You must fill in a Declaration of exemption from COVID-19 entry ban because of a birth.
    you are a divorced parent from a third country, and you want to visit your child who lives in The Netherlands. You must fill in a Declaration of exemption from COVID-19 entry ban for visiting your child as a divorced parent.
6. International protection and humanitarian reasons
  • You have been granted international protection.
  • You are being admitted to the Netherlands for humanitarian reasons.
  • You are a non-Dutch national who falls under the arrangement for partners in a long-distance relationship. 
7. Highly skilled migrants staying in The Netherlands for a period longer than 3 months
  • If the assignee needs a MVV visa to travel to The Netherlands and in some countries: the embassies/consulates abroad are closed due to COVID-19, it is not possible to travel to The Netherlands as a highly skilled migrant without obtaining their MVV visa.
  • If the highly skilled migrant does not need a MVV visa to travel to The Netherlands: assignees are only allowed to travel with their IND approval letter, a negative COVID-19 test, a health certificate and a written statement from their employer stating that they need to be in The Netherlands for their work and why. It must also state why the highly skilled migrant cannot come to The Netherlands at a later time.  
    Via IATA TIMATIC, the airline companies are informed that the IND notification letter for these categories is sufficient for travel and admission to The Netherlands. However, the IND has indicated that this only applies to direct flights to The Netherlands. Other (transit) countries may not accept this proof.  
NB: Documents to prove the purpose of your journey

If the purpose of your trip to The Netherlands is on the list of exemption categories, take documents which you can show at the airport in The Netherlands to prove the purpose of your trip. These documents must be in Dutch, English or Spanish.

II. Within the Netherlands: Rules

A. Basic rules

It’s still important to keep following the basic rules, even if you’re fully vaccinated.

  • Good hygiene: washing your hands regularly, cough and sneeze into the elbow.
  • Developing symptoms: stay home and get tested.
  • Keep 1,5-metre distancing is no longer mandatory. It is now an urgent advice that’s proven to help prevent transmission of the virus.

B. The EU Digital COVID Certificate

  • On 1 July 2021 the Digital COVID Certificate was introduced. This certificate makes is easier for people to travel within the European Union (EU) during the COVID 19 pandemic.
  • You can present this using CoronaCheck. How to get a coronavirus entry pass?
    • If you are fully vaccinated, have valid proof of recovery or a negative result from a coronavirus test taken less than 24 hours before entry.
    • For people without proof of vaccination or recovery, getting tested will remain free of charge.
    • You can generate a coronavirus entry pass using the Corona Check app on your mobile phone.
How to get a vaccination certificate after vaccination abroad?

You need a vaccination certificate. Most people can easily collect their vaccination certificate with the CoronaCheck app or via CoronaCheck.nl. Some situations are however different. For example, if you have been vaccinated abroad.

You have been vaccinated in a non-EU country. And you have proof of that.

People who can register their non-EU vaccination

Have you been fully vaccinated in a country outside the EU? Then you can have your vaccination registered in the Netherlands if:

  • you are Dutch; or
  • you live in the Netherlands; or
  • you have been vaccinated in Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten.

You can also register your vaccination if you have had 1 shot outside the EU and 1 shot in the Netherlands.

Call for an appointment in Utrecht

You can make an appointment for this via 030 - 8002899. Are you coming with several people? Then make several appointments.

You must come to Utrecht for the appointment. The location is close to Utrecht Central Station. You will receive the address in the appointment confirmation. Please bring the following documents with you for this appointment:

  • Identification. The details on the ID must be the same as the details on the vaccination certificate, and/or;
  • a piece of evidence with your citizen service number (BSN) on it. This is not necessary if your BSN is on the proof of identity, and;
    the vaccination certificate that you received in the country where you received - the vaccination. The vaccination certificate must meet the requirements for vaccination certificates.

This option is also open to people who do not live in the EU.

European vaccination certificate via CoronaCheck

For example, you can obtain a corona certificate for your foreign vaccination that is valid in the Netherlands and the European Union. You can then upload this corona proof in CoronaCheck.

Other options: proof of recovery or negative test result

Can't come to Utrecht? But do you want to travel or to an event? Then you can create a corona certificate for travel or a corona certificate for events with a recovery certificate or a test certificate.

You received your first injection in another EU country or in a non-EU country.

Did you receive your 1st injection in another EU country? Then you can get the 2nd shot in the Netherlands if you live in the Netherlands or have Dutch nationality. You can indicate to the GGD that you had your first injection abroad.

C. Activities requiring the Digital COVID Certificate

Below are the most important measures effective as of 25 September 2021. In November the government will reassess the measures remaining in place for now.

The Coronavirus entry pass is an extra safeguard for locations that will get busier when the 1.5 meter distancing rule is lifted.

_As of 25 September,__ the coronavirus entry pass system will apply to gain admission:

  • The rules apply to restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, club canteens and other catering facilities
  • Exceptions for takeaways and terraces
  • Events (such as festivals, concerts and professional sports matches), and cultural venues (such as cinemas and theatres).
  • Whether people have a fixed seat or not
  • Whether the location is indoors or outdoors
  • For everyone aged 13 and over
  • Everyone aged 14 and over will also have _to show their ID) along with their coronavirus entry pass.
  • All hospitality establishments must be closed between midnight and 6am.
  • All events will once again be allowed
  • Events held outdoors or indoors with fixed seating are not subject to a maximum number of visitors
  • Events held indoors without fixed seating can receive up to 75% of the maximum number of visitors

D. Other rules

  1. Face mask requirement on public transport and at airports

Face masks are still mandatory in airports (in any case the airside area and any other locations designated by airport management, such as arrival and departure halls), on aircraft, trains, buses, trams and metros, in taxis and on other commercial passenger transport.

Face masks no longer need to be worn in train stations and at bus, tram and metro stops.

  1. More scope for working at the office

The advice to work from home unless that is impossible is being modified. The advice is now: work from home if you can and go to the office if you must. It’s up to employers and employees to make satisfactory arrangements on hours worked at home and at the office.

  1. Travel-out: Important to read travel advice in full
Travelling to other countries is still a risk and will remain a risk

Dutch tourists might have to travel with a Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) that provides proof of vaccination, testing or recovery. Or they might have to quarantine upon entering another country. Each country can set its own requirements, so you should always check the latest travel advice before you leave on www.wijsopreis.nl (available in Dutch only). Don't just look at the color coding of your holiday destination: read the travel advice in full. It will tell you exactly what measures apply for your destination country and the countries you will be passing through. Prepare well: download your Digital COVID Certificate in the Corona Check app or take a printout. If you haven’t yet been fully vaccinated, you can get a free coronavirus test before departure.
Travel to countries with color code (green, yellow, orange or red)
The color code gives an idea of the security risks, the health risks and the corona measures in a country or region. Depending on which country the assignees will be traveling from and the color code the country has received will determine which of the following measurements have to be taken.

Would you like to know whether you can travel to a country from The Netherlands? And whether you have to quarantine on your return to the Netherlands? Then check the travel advice for that country or area.

We trust to have informed you sufficiently for now regarding this matter.  
Kind regards,  
RSH Relocation and Immigration Services 

Annex 1: Safe countries

Regions outside the EU

Bosnia and Herzegovina 
China (the EU travel ban applies until China lifts entry restrictions on European travellers) 
Faroe Islands 
Hong Kong SAR
Macau SAR
New Zealand
San Marino
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Vatican City

Regions within the EU/Schengen area

Czech Republic

Regions within the Kingdom of The Netherlands

St Eustatius

Annex 2: Countries and areas considered as very high risk (red areas):

As of 4 September, the countries on the list of very high-risk countries where there is a virus variant of concern have been moved to either the category ‘very high-risk area’ or the category ‘high-risk area’. 

American Virgin Islands 
Costa Rica
French Guyiana 
French Polynesia
North Macedonia 
Palestinian Territories 
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia 
South Africa 
Sri Lanka 
United Kingdom 
United States

Annex 3: Meaning of key terms

Fully vaccinated

You are entitled to proof of vaccination when you are fully vaccinated. This is when one of the following situations applies to you:

  • If you have been vaccinated with Moderna, BioNTech/Pfizer or AstraZeneca you need two doses in order to be fully protected.
  • You only need one dose of the Janssen vaccine in order to be fully protected. Additional requirements for people vaccinated with Janssen apply in some countries. If you wish to travel abroad, first consult the travel advice for your destination
  • If you have had coronavirus already, one dose is normally enough to give you sufficient protection.
  • Your proof of vaccination will become valid 2 weeks after the date you receive your second dose. Please note: if you are vaccinated with Janssen on or after 14 August 2021, your proof of vaccination will become valid 28 days after you are vaccinated.
  • The rules in other countries may be different. These rules can be found in the travel advice for your destination.

The vaccine you received must have been approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA) or be on the Emergency Use Listing of the World Health Organization (WHO). This is currently the case for the following vaccines:

  • Astra Zeneca EU (Vaxzevria);
  • Astra Zeneca - Japan (Vaxzevria);
  • Astra Zeneca - Australia (Vaxzevria);
  • Astra Zeneca-SK Bio (Vaxzevria);
  • Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine - United States of America;
  • Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty);
  • Johnson & Johnson ((COVID-19 Vaccine) Janssen);
  • Moderna (Spikevax);
  • Serum Institute of India (Covishield);
  • Sinopharm BIBP;
  • Sinovac.

Health declaration  

When entering Schiphol Airport, a health certificate and mouth shield is compulsory. Passengers on all inbound and outbound flights in and from The Netherlands are required to fill in a certificate with questions about health complaints that fit in with COVID-19. This health certificate form is provided by the airline prior to boarding. The Netherlands makes it compulsory for passengers in the aircraft and at Dutch airports to wear a non-medical mouthpiece during check-in, security and border processes and boarding.  

Negative COVID-19 test

Some travelers must show a negative test result when they enter The Netherlands. These are travelers from a country outside the EU/Schengen that is not on the list of safe countries of the European Union and that is also exempt from the EU entry ban. They must be able to show a negative COVID-19 test result and a statement signed by the traveler when traveling to The Netherlands by plane or ship. As of June 1st, the negative Covid-19 test is also mandatory for travelers using their own transportation, for example; car or motorcycle. This is one of the Dutch measures to prevent the import and spread of the corona virus.
NB: The negative test does not yet apply to Dutch nationals and EU residents and their family members who travel (back) from outside the EU/Schengen. 

  • Negative NAAT (PCR) or antigen test result accepted
    The Netherlands accepts negative NAAT test results (test conducted no more than 48 hours prior to boarding the plane) and negative antigen test results (test conducted no more than 24 hours prior to boarding the plane). The results of self-tests are not accepted. The negative test result requirement applies to everyone aged 13 and over travelling from a high-risk or very high-risk area. 

  • Negative test results no longer required in certain cases
    Travelers within the EU who can show proof of vaccination or proof of recovery (for example a Digital COVID Certificate), no longer need to show a negative NAAT or antigen test result.
    People arriving in The Netherlands from a safe country do not have to show a negative test result, proof of recovery or proof of vaccination. Travelers from outside the EU from a high-risk or a safe country do not have to show a negative test result if they have proof of vaccination; proof of recovery is not sufficient to exempt these travelers from the negative test result requirement.

  • Negative test result still required for people travelling from very high-risk areas

  1. NAAT Test (PCR test) 

    • The test must have been conducted less than 48 hours before boarding;
    • The time between samples being collected from the passenger’s nose and/or throat, and the passenger’s arrival in The Netherlands must be no more than 48 hours. The result must be known before the passenger departs for The Netherlands 
    • Children under 13 do not need a negative test result. 
  2. Antigen Test (Quick test) 
    Information that must be provided on the mandatory quick test result: 

    • The negative test result must be in English, German, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish or Dutch. The document must contain the following information: 
    • Type of test: the test used must be a quick test (antigen or LAMP) or a PCR test; 
    • Test result: the test result must be negative (or ‘not detected’) for SARS-CoV-2; 
    • Passenger’s first and last name as stated in their passport. 
    • Date and time of test: for passengers, the test must have been conducted no more than 24 hours prior to boarding the aircraft or ferry.  
    • Logo, stamp or details of the doctor or institute that conducted the test. 
    • Either a digital or paper copy of the test result may be shown. 

A translation of the test result will be accepted provided the translation bears the original signature or stamp of the doctor or institute that conducted the test.  

The results of self-administered tests are not accepted. 

Children under 13 do not need a negative test result.

Exemptions for submitting a Covid-19 test

You must show a negative COVID-19 test result on departure if you are travelling to or returning to the Netherlands from a high-risk country. This rule applies to everyone aged 13 or over and even if you have been vaccinated. There are some exceptions. 

Airplane: unforeseen circumstances
Passengers are excluded if:

  • They are on a flight that does not have The Netherlands as its final destination;
  • Their flight ends in The Netherlands due to unforeseen circumstances.

For example: A passenger is on a plane from New York to Frankfurt. Due to a storm, the plane cannot land in Frankfurt. The aircraft therefore diverts to Schiphol.
These travelers do need a health certificate.

Transport personnel and seafarers
Transport personnel and seafarers who travel to The Netherlands by passenger transport for their work. This concerns seafarers in possession of a seaman's book and persons working in the transport of goods and other transport personnel. They travel by passenger transport for their work.
These include:

  • Truck drivers;
  • Persons working on container ships, bulk carriers (e.g. ore or coal), tankers (fuels and chemicals) and fishing vessels;
  • Persons working in the energy sector, i.e. oil and gas platforms and wind farms, offshore companies that provide services to this sector, and air, cruise and ferry crews as well as traveling for their position.
  • Transport personnel or seafarers traveling to or from work in The Netherlands

The following people do not need a negative test result, but do need a health certificate:

  • Staff members of diplomatic and consular representations or international organizations in The Netherlands, and the members of their official household, who are or will be registered as such with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • Holders of non-Dutch diplomatic passports.
  • Holders of Dutch diplomatic passports, if they travel in the course of their duties or if they travel to or from their work.
  • Heads of state and members of a foreign government.
  • Passengers with a NATO Travel Order or a NATO-2 visa.
  • Persons with a statement from the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport who travel for urgent transport of body materials for medical treatment.
  • Officers with a statement from the Royal Netherlands Marechaussee who travel and carry out tasks of national importance on behalf of the Minister or State Secretary of Justice and Security. And the persons who are accompanied by these officials.

Frontier workers and frontier students
Frontier workers, pupils’ students and border students do not need a negative test result for entry into The Netherlands, but they do need a health certificate.

Definition of frontier workers, frontier pupils and students:

  • You live in The Netherlands.
  • You work, study or go to school in another Member State of the EU, Schengen or the United Kingdom.
  • You return to your place of residence in The Netherlands at least once a week.
  • You live in another EU Member State, Schengen or the United Kingdom.
  • You work, study or go to school in The Netherlands.
  • You return to your place of residence in that other EU Member State, Schengen or United Kingdom at least once a week.

Proof of frontier worker, border pupil or border student
You must be able to show the carrier:

  • In which country you live. For example, through a rental contract or statement from a (municipal) government;
  • That you work, study or go to school in another Member State. For example, through an employment contract, statement from employer, proof of enrolment at a university or school, or statement from a school or university).

Testing positive after having coronavirus
Some people continue to test positive for a long time after having had coronavirus, even when they no longer have symptoms and are no longer infectious. The following rules apply to these people: If someone has been infected with the coronavirus and are therefore unable to present a negative NAAT (PCR) test result, they can travel if they can present the following documents:

  • proof of recovery, from within the EU and at least 11 days but no more than 180 days old before travelling

Or when they don’t have a proof of recovery:

  • a positive NAAT (PCR) test result or antigen test result based on a sample collected at least 11 days but no more than 180 days before travelling;
  • a positive NAAT (PCR) test result based on a sample collected no more than 48 hours before departure to the Netherlands.

They must also show:

  • an antigen test result on departure based on a sample collected no more than 24 hours before departure; or
  • if the antigen test result is positive, a doctor’s certificate stating that they can no longer infect others. This certificate must have been issued no more than 48 hours before departure.

It must be in Dutch, English, German, French, Italian, Portuguese or Spanish and bear the logo or stamp of the doctor or institute.

Test result requirement has not replaced the entry ban

The requirement to present negative test results (and a signed declaration) is not an easing of the EU entry ban or the self-quarantine requirement. You may still only travel to The Netherlands from outside the EU/Schengen area if you are exempted from the entry ban. 


The rules on self-quarantining for people travelling to the Netherlands will change as of 22 September. Vaccinated travellers from very high-risk areas such as the United States or the United Kingdom no longer have to self-quarantine on arrival in the Netherlands

Quarantine declaration and negative COVID-19 test result

When you travel to The Netherlands you must bring a completed quarantine declaration and a negative COVID-19 test result with you. You may be fined if you do not have a quarantine declaration or you do not comply with the mandatory quarantine requirement.

Mode of transport

It doesn’t matter how you travel to The Netherlands. The mandatory quarantine requirement applies to all forms of transport: air, train, bus/coach and car

If you travel to The Netherlands from a country for which mandatory quarantine applies, you must quarantine for 10 days. You can shorten this period if you take a test on day 5 and the result comes back negative.

If you want to travel to The Netherlands and you are coming from a region for which mandatory quarantine applies, you must bring the following with you:

  • a printed, completed and signed quarantine declaration;
  • a negative COVID-19 test result.
Checks on quarantine declaration

You must print out the quarantine declaration and carry it with your during your journey because you:

  • must be able to show it to:
    • a supervisory authority;
    • the transport provider (bus/coach, train, airline, ship/ferry). 
  • must, if requested, hand this declaration to the airline or ship operator or to the authorities upon arrival in The Netherlands.

If you do not have a quarantine declaration you may be fined €95. 

Checks on mandatory quarantine

Teams of officials and public servants with investigative powers – for example, special enforcement officers (BOAs) – will check compliance with the mandatory quarantine requirement. They will check whether you are at the address you provided on your quarantine declaration. 

You must also be reachable on the phone number you provided. If you do not open the door or answer the phone you may be fined €339.

There are exemptions from the mandatory quarantine requirement. You must always bring with you a printed, completed and signed quarantine declaration, even if you do not have to quarantine. On the declaration form you must fill in why the exception applies to you and state how you can prove this. You must be able to show the quarantine form.

Exemptions from the mandatory quarantine

There are exemptions from the mandatory quarantine requirement. You must always bring with you a printed, completed and signed quarantine declaration, even if you do not have to quarantine. On the declaration form you must fill in why the exception applies to you and state how you can prove this. You must be able to show the quarantine form.

Exemption categories:
  • Children aged 12 and under
  • People with a layover (transfer) during their international journey
  • 10 days in an area not designated as very high risk
  • Short stay in an area designated as very high risk
  • Cross-border commuting for work or education
  • Funerals
  • Necessary family visits
  • Healthcare professionals, COVID-19 personnel and necessary medical treatment
  • Urgent short-term cross-border business trips
  • Significant contribution to the Dutch economy
  • Top-level sport
  • Journalism
  • Research
  • Cultural activities
  • Energy sector
  • Passenger transport
  • Goods transport
  • Maritime sector
  • Criminal court proceedings
  • Government members or civil servants
  • Heads of state, heads of government and members of foreign governments
  • Designated international organizations
  • Humanitarian assistance
  • Officials performing duties of national interest
  • Military duties
  • Diplomatic or consular work
  • Holders of diplomatic passports
  • Holders of a diplomatic identity card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or a note verbale issued by an embassy, consulate or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs